Gluten-Free Garlic Roti
For me, it just doesn’t feel right to eat an Indian meal without a roti. That’s why I have been playing around a bit with creating some simple, easy, but tasty roti recipes. My favorite so far is this vegan and gluten-free garlic roti.
You will only need five ingredients for this: rice flour, water, garlic, garlic powder and salt. Of course, it is possible to make it without garlic too. However, the taste will be a bit more bland.
The key is to get the water boiling before you add the rice flour. Also, wet your hands with a bit of water or oil before you start kneading, otherwise it might get too sticky. Make sure you have some extra rice flour to help roll out the dough.
INGREDIENTS for gluten-free garlic roti
how to make gluten-free garlic roti
- Bring the water and salt to a boil in a pot or saucepan.
- Meanwhile, mince the garlic cloves.
- Once the water is boiling, add all the rice flour, garlic powder and the minced garlic.
- Turn to low heat and stir well. When everything is mixed well, remove from heat. Transfer the dough to a bowl and let it cool down.
- When it has cooled down enough, start kneading. I wet my hands with a bit of water or oil to prevent the dough from sticking to my hands. If it still tends to stick, try to knead it with your knuckles instead.
- After kneading for a few minutes, divide the dough and roll the pieces into a golf ball size with your hands. I made 8 of them.
- Sprinkle some of the rice flour on a clean work surface. Roll the ball of dough into a little bit of flour before you start rolling. Using a rolling pin, lightly start rolling out the dough until it’s as thin as you can get it.
- Heat a frying pan with a little bit of oil and keep on medium-high heat. Carefully place the roti in the pan. Flip the roti over once the dough starts to bubble. Cook for one or two more minutes on this side. Repeat this step until you have used all of the dough.
- Eat the roti with a curry, soup, chutney or hummus.
Try it with a vegan curry:
Vegan Gluten-Free Garlic Roti
- 1 cup rice flour
- 2 cups water
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
PIN IT FOR LATER:
More vegan side dish recipes:
My name is Josca.
I am a Dutchie who is obsessed with plant-based food, sustainable living and exploring our planet.