Baingan Bharta (Indian Eggplant Curry)
The Indian cuisine is by far the best cuisine if you are vegan or vegetarian. It is my personal favorite, because there are so many delicious curries to choose from, and they are all so flavorful.
I always thought that it would be really difficult to create that authentic Indian taste, but after a lot of practicing I think I have found the secret. Using a ginger garlic paste is an absolute game changer!
Baingan Bharta is definitely one of the easiest Indian recipes I know. Of course using whole spices instead of ground spices make the taste even better, but I created this recipe with powders as I know most people don’t have the ground spices sitting in their cupboards.
Ingredients for baingan bharta
how to make baingan bharta
- Preheat the oven at 400°F (200°C). Prick the eggplants in a few places with a fork and place them on a baking sheet. You can also wrap them in aluminum foil. Cook them for about 1,5 hour and make sure they come out super soft.
- Meanwhile, put the garlic, ginger, 1 chili pepper, 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, cinnamon, nutmeg and cumin in a blender and blend until it becomes a paste.
- Chop the onion and the other chili pepper. Heat a frying pan with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, and add the onion and garlic together with the ginger garlic paste. Sauté for about 10 minutes until the onion becomes translucent.
- Cut the tomatoes in small cubes and add them to the pan. Tomatoes always release a lot of liquid, so cook it down for about 10/15 minutes.
- When your cooked eggplants have cooled down a bit, cut them open and scoop out the insides. Add them to the pan too and give it a good stir.
- Lastly, add a handful of fresh cilantro. This will really finish the dish and give it an amazing, authentic Indian taste. Cook for a few more minutes, and then enjoy your Baingan Bharta with some rice or naan.
- 4 eggplants
- 5 tomatoes
- 1 brown onion
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 2 inches ginger
- 2 chili peppers
- 1 handful cilantro
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
PIN IT FOR LATER:
More vegan curry recipes:
My name is Josca.
I am a Dutchie who is obsessed with plant-based food, sustainable living and exploring our planet.