Dutch Vegan Stamppot
Stamppot is probably the most famous Dutch dish. Typically it’s prepared in winter, but you can honestly enjoy stamppot all year round. In fact, I made this vegan stamppot for the first time when I lived in Bali.
My friends and I would organize themed potlucks, and one time the theme was: “traditional cuisine”. It didn’t take a long time to decide what I wanted to make. Of course, I had to veganize stamppot. I wanted to make it with endive, but since I couldn’t find that I bought chinese cabbage.
And wow, I thought that my foreign friends probably wouldn’t really like it since it’s such a typical Dutch thing – but everyone loved it!
So even if you’re not from The Netherlands or have never tried stamppot: give it a go! I know it doesn’t look very appealing, but I promise you it tastes really good.
How to make vegan stamppot
- Cut the tempeh into small cubes. Mix the soy sauce, smoked paprika, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper together in a container. Add the tempeh and shake well.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into cubes as well. Bring water to a boil and cook the potatoes for about 10 minutes until they are soft.
- Meanwhile, fill another pot with water and bring it to a boil. Wash the chinese cabbage and chop it into strips. Cook the cabbage for about 5 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes when they are ready and start mashing them. Next, add the coconut cream. Start with 3.5 oz (100 ml) and use more if needed. Then add the nutritional yeast, nutmeg, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon onion powder and extra salt to taste. Mix well.
- Heat two teaspoons of oil in a frying pan, and cook the marinated tempeh for about 10 minutes. It should have a bit of a bite and a reddish brown color.
- Also drain the cabbage, and add it to the mashed potatoes. Stir well before adding the tempeh. At last, toss in the tempeh and mix everything together.
- If you like nutmeg, season your vegan stamppot with a bit more nutmeg powder before you start eating. Enjoy!
Dutch Vegan Stamppot
- 5 large potatoes
- 1 head chinese cabbage
- 12 oz tempeh (340 g)
- 7 oz coconut cream (200 ml)
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp cooking oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp nutmeg powder
- 1½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper