The Best Vegan Lasagna Bolognese
Now, when I went vegan, one of my main concerns was: “Oh my god, I can’t eat lasagna anymore!!!” I accepted that and thought it was just one of those things that I had to let go. Until I found vegan minced meat and vegan cheese in the supermarket. I knew immediately what I had to do: create a vegan recipe for lasagna!
And to be honest: I can’t taste that much of a difference. I think it’s even tastier! It’s definitely the best vegan lasagna bolognese out there.
how to make the best vegan lasagna bolognese
- Firstly, I cover the tomatoes with a little bit of olive oil and roast them in the oven for 30 minutes at 400°F (200°C). This makes them nice and soft already, but is not a necessary step.
- Meanwhile, I chop the onions and the garlic. I’ve tried the recipe with a red and brown onion, it both tastes really good! So it’s up to your own preference. After that, I fry them in a large pan with a tablespoon of olive oil. Once they get a bit translucent, I start adding all the herbs, spices and sambal. Don’t forget the bay leaf!
- After stirring, add the vegan minced meat (I used Naturli, 400 g (14.1 oz) and mix everything together. Keep cooking at high heat for about 10 minutes, and stir now and then. Meanwhile, grate the carrots and zucchini.
- When the tomatoes are ready, cut them in cubes and add it to the pan. Also add the grated zucchini and carrot. Stir and cook for a few minutes, then add the tomato paste. Cook all this for 10 more minutes.
Fun fact: one time I didn’t have tomato paste anymore and I was too lazy to go to the supermarket. So I used a little bit of tomato ketchup instead! It worked fine as well, just don’t use too much – otherwise it might get too sweet.
- During the last two steps, I start preparing the bechamel sauce. First, melt the butter and then mix in the flour.
- When mixed, add in all the other ingedrients except for the soy milk. Add in the soy milk gradually while stirring until it’s nice and creamy. Make sure to cook on low heat.
- So, now we’ve got everything ready! I always grease my baking dish with a little olive oil first. I begin with half of the bolognese sauce, then I add a layer of the bechamel sauce. On top of that I place the lasagna sheets.
- Then I add one more layer in this order: bolognese – bechamel – lasagna sheets. After that, one more layer with the bolognese and I finish with the bechamel sauce. Make sure all the lasagna sheets are covered well.
You can sprinkle some vegan cheese on top as well, but this is really not necessary since the bechamel sauce is already cheesy enough.
- Leave it in the oven for about 30 minutes at 400°F (200°C), the bechamel sauce should have caramelized a bit by then. Take it out of the oven and enjoy your lasagna bolognese!
Vegan Lasagna Bolognese
- lasagna sheets
- 14.1 oz vegan ground beef (400 g)
- 5.5 oz grated carrots (155 g)
- 12.5 oz grated zucchini (355 g)
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, red or brown
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cube vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1.5 tbsp oregano
- 1.5 tbsp rosemary
- 2 tsp paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp sambal (or sriracha)
- 5 oz tomato paste
- vegan grated cheese (optional)
- 1/2 cup vegan butter (100 g)
- 1/4 cup flower (50 g)
- 2 cups unsweetened soy milk (470 ml)
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cube vegetable stock
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder