Since living in Bali, I have been cooking and veganizing a lot of Indonesian recipes. And one of my favorites is definitely this vegan jackfruit rendang recipe. Rendang is traditionally a Sumatran dish with slow cooked beef, braised in coconut milk and spices.
Young jackfruit is great for recreating this national Indonesian dish, as it has a meaty texture. You can buy jackfruit at Asian food markets or specialty stores. If you can’t get your hands on fresh jackfruit, check for canned jackfruit. Make sure it is labeled as green, unripe or young if you want to use it for this vegan jackfruit rendang curry or as a meat substitute for another recipe.
Ingredients for vegan jackfruit rendang curry
how to make vegan jackfruit rendang curry
- Start with blending 4 cloves of garlic, 3 shallots and 2 small chili peppers (don’t add the chili if you don’t like your food spicy) into a paste.
- Cut the jackfruit into slices and take the seeds out. When I am in Indonesia I just buy young jackfruit at the local market, but at home I buy canned jackfruit. Rinse the jackfruit after cutting it.
- Heat a frying pan with coconut oil. When heated, add the paste and stir for a few minutes on medium high heat. Add the rendang paste, and cook until it’s fragrant.
- Next, add the jackfruit, coconut cream, water and ½ a teaspoon of salt. Cut off the bottom of 2 lemongrass stalks, and peel off any dry layers. Crush the lemongrass a little bit to release the aroma, and then add it to the pan. Optional: if you want to use a bit more veggies, grate one big carrot and add it too.
- Place a lid on the frying pan and cook for about 40 minutes on medium high heat.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them in cubes. Add them to the pan for the last 15 minutes of cooking on low heat.
- When the jackfruit is tender and the potatoes are soft, turn off the heat and take the lemongrass stalks out. Serve your vegan jackfruit rendang curry with rice, and enjoy your meal. Selamat makan!
Vegan Jackfruit Rendang Curry
- 20 oz young jackfruit
- 3 medium potatoes
- 3 shallots
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 chili peppers
- 2.1 oz rendang paste
- 7 oz coconut cream
- 2 cups water
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 carrot (optional)
PIN IT FOR LATER:
More vegan curry recipes:
My name is Josca.
I am a Dutchie who is obsessed with plant-based food, sustainable living and exploring our planet.