Thai Red Curry with Vegetables
I wasn’t actually planning on making this Thai red curry, but I had a lot of kaffir lime leaves and lemongrass left in the fridge that I needed to use. So, of course I had to make a curry again (poor me…).
Usually I make my curries with tofu or tempeh, but for this one I decided to use vegetables only. Feel free to add tofu or tempeh though. Bake them in the oven or stir fry them before adding them to the curry.
This Thai red curry is easy to make and only takes about 35 minutes to prepare. If you want to make this curry gluten-free, use tamari instead of soy sauce.
INGREDIENTS for vegan thai red curry
how to make vegan thai red curry
- First, prepare everything that you need for the curry. Cut the onion and chili pepper and finely chop the garlic and ginger. Bruise the lemongrass stalk and tie it into a knot. Fold the kaffir lime leaves in half, and – pulling downward – tear the rib from the leaf.
- Cut the cauliflower and broccoli into florets. Slice the carrots and bell pepper, making sure you cut them in about the same size. Also chop the tomatoes.
- Heat a frying pan with one tablespoon of cooking oil. Toss in the onion, garlic, ginger, chili pepper, lemongrass and lime leaf. Cook for one minute on medium high heat.
- Add the Thai red curry paste, about 3 tablespoons. Cook for a few minutes until it all becomes very aromatic. If the paste starts to stick to the pan, add a little bit of water.
- Next, add in all the vegetables and stir well. After stirring, add the coconut milk, lime juice, soy sauce or tamari and the coconut nectar or maple syrup (or another vegan sweetener).
- Let this all simmer for about 15 minutes. Taste first before you decide to add salt. The Thai red curry is ready when the vegetables are cooked through. Serve it with cooked rice.
Vegan Thai Red Curry with Vegetables
- 1.8 oz thai red curry paste (50 g)
- 2 carrots
- 1 head broccoli
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 red bell pepper
- 5 tomatoes
- 2 handfuls fresh cilantro
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 6 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 thumb ginger
- 2 chili peppers
- 1 red onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 7 oz coconut milk (200 ml)
- 1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tbsp coconut nectar or maple syrup (or another vegan sweetener)
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp salt
PIN IT FOR LATER:
More vegan curry recipes:
My name is Josca.
I am a Dutchie who is obsessed with plant-based food, sustainable living and exploring our planet.