Tempeh Satay Skewers
These tempeh satay skewers are perfect for a barbecue, for a party or as a side dish. And even better: it will only take 15/20 minutes to make. The satay sauce is a 4-ingredient recipe, and for the tempeh marinade you only need soy sauce and a few seasonings.
You could either grill the skewers, cook them in a frying pan, or even in the oven. Today I just used a frying pan. I also chose to make small skewers to make it more of a party snack, but you can also make them with regular sized skewers of course.
INGREDIENTS for tempeh satay skewers
how to make tempeh satay skewers
- Cut the block of tempeh into cubes. I ended up having 32 cubes and made 8 small skewers with it. Tip: if you use wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes so that they won’t burn when you grill them.
- Bring water to a boil, and cook the tempeh for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the soy sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper in a bowl. When the tempeh is cooked, drain the water and add the tempeh to the mixture. Stir well and let it sit for a while.
- Get a saucepan and add the peanut butter, kecap manis, sambal (or one finely chopped chili pepper) and water. Cook on low heat and stir every now and then.
- Next, thread the tempeh pieces on a skewer. Grill or cook them until they have a nice brown color.
- The satay sauce should be smooth by now. Put the tempeh skewers on a plate and pour the satay sauce over it. I put some extra sauce in the middle of the plate in case people want to add some more to their skewers. Optional: garnish with some chopped roasted peanuts.
- Enjoy it with rice, as an appetizer, or as a side dish.
- 7 oz tempeh (200 g)
- 3 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp kecap manis (sweetened soy sauce)
- 2 tsp sambal (or one finely chopped chili pepper)
- ½ cup water (120 ml)
- 2 tsp oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- optional: roasted peanuts
PIN IT FOR LATER:
More vegan side dish recipes:
My name is Josca.
I am a Dutchie who is obsessed with plant-based food, sustainable living and exploring our planet.