Thai Coconut Lemongrass Soup
Usually I am not really a big fan of soup, but this vegan Thai coconut lemongrass soup I could easily eat every day. It is so flavorsome. This soup is sour, spicy, sweet and creamy all at the same time!
I actually didn’t intend on creating a recipe for a Thai soup, until my friend left some Tom Yum paste at my house. However, I did not want to make the usual Tom Yum – I wanted to create a new recipe.
And basically, this is what happened! I am very happy with how it turned out, I will definitely experiment more with making soup from now on.
You don’t have to use a Tom Yum paste, you can use any vegan Thai curry paste. Also, I wanted to use water spinach for this recipe, but since they didn’t have that at the local market I chose to use bok choy. So feel free to use whichever greens you prefer.
how to make thai coconut lemongrass soup
- Drain the tofu and cut it into cubes. Place them on a baking tray with baking paper and lightly brush them with coconut oil. Bake for 30 minutes on 400°F (200°C), or until the tofu has a light golden brown color.
- Grate some ginger until you have 1 tablespoon of it. Chop the chili peppers and the shallots.
- Heat two tablespoons of coconut oil in a frying pan. Fry the ginger, chili peppers and shallots for a few minutes on medium heat.
- Take off the dry leaves of the lemongrass stalks and remove the bulb. Then, bruise the stalks. This will make the lemongrass release it’s fragrance and flavor.
- Fold the kaffir lime leaves in half, and – pulling downward – tear the rib from the leaf.
- Add the curry paste, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves and one tablespoon of lime juice to the pan. Turn to low heat.
- Slice the shiitake mushrooms, and don’t forget to take off the stems (like I did…)! Also cut the bok choy or water spinach. I used two bok choy for this recipe. I added the cherry tomatoes as a whole, but you could cut them if you prefer that.
- The paste, lemongrass and lime leaves should have become really aromatic by now. Add the coconut cream and water, and also toss in the vegetables.
- Also add 2 handfuls of cilantro, 1 tablespoon of soy sauce (use a gluten free soy sauce if you want to make this dish gluten free) and 1 teaspoon of salt. Cook everything on medium heat for about 15 minutes, stirring every now and then.
- Lastly, add the tofu and rice vermicelli. This time I used about 1.7 oz (50 grams), but this is really up to your preference. I like adding quite a bit to make it more filling, but you could definitely use less or leave it out completely.
- Take out the lime leaves and lemongrass before eating, and garnish your vegan Thai coconut lemongrass soup with some chili peppers, cilantro or coconut flakes.
Vegan Thai Coconut Lemongrass Soup
- 7 oz shiitake mushrooms (200 g)
- 14 oz tofu (400 g)
- 1.7 oz rice vermicelli (50 g)
- 20 cherry tomatoes
- 2 bok choy or water spinach
- 2 handful fresh cilantro
- 5 shallots
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 3 chili peppers
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1.7 oz Thai curry paste (50 g)
- 3 lemongrass stalks
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 7 oz coconut cream (200 ml)
- 2 cups water (470 ml)
- 1 tsp salt