This vegan mushroom stroganoff is so creamy and delicious, non-vegans will be surprised that it is vegan! It is easy to make and doesn’t require any fancy ingredients. For the creaminess I used coconut cream. You could probably substitute this with vegan sour cream, however I personally have never tried that.
In case you want this plant-based mushroom stroganoff to be gluten-free, use tamari instead of soy sauce. Also, I used some chili peppers as well to make it extra warming and comforting. This is optional of course, I know not everyone likes to throw chili peppers in every dish they are making (I do…).
This vegan mushroom stroganoff can be made in 30 minutes and would be a great quick and easy holiday recipe. Enjoy it with rice, pasta or roasted potatoes.
Ingredients for mushroom stroganoff
how to make vegan mushroom stroganoff
- Chop the onion, garlic and chili peppers (if you decide to use them). Heat a large frying pan with one tablespoon of cooking oil. Cook the chopped onion first for one minute, and then add the garlic and chili peppers to the pan.
- Slice the mushrooms and add them to the same pan. Season them with salt and pepper. It will seem like a lot at first, but they will go down in size a lot. Cook this on medium high heat for about 10 minutes.
- The mushrooms should have shrunk a lot by now and have a light golden brown color. If your mushrooms are releasing a lot of liquid: good! If not, add half a cup of water.
- Now, add the coconut cream, nutritional yeast, tamari or soy sauce, lemon juice and mustard. Stir well and then also add the oregano, rosemary, nutmeg and smoked paprika.
- Cook for 15 more minutes, or until the mushroom stroganoff has your desired consistency. Serve it with rice, pasta or roasted potatoes.
Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff
- 30 button mushrooms
- 1 red onion
- 7 oz coconut cream (200 ml)
- 2 tsp tamari or soy sauce
- ¾ tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- ½ tsp nutmeg powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 small chili peppers (optional)
PIN IT FOR LATER:
More vegan main course recipes:
My name is Josca.
I am a Dutchie who is obsessed with plant-based food, sustainable living and exploring our planet.