Massaman Curry with Mushroom “Chicken”
If you have never tried a Thai massaman curry, you are missing out! I still remember the moment when I tasted massaman curry for the first time in Koh Lanta, Thailand. It has been my favorite Thai curry ever since. Of course… a curry with two of my favorite foods – potatoes and peanuts – can’t go wrong.
At the time I tried that massaman curry I wasn’t vegan yet, so I had to create a vegan massaman curry recipe. I made it many times with just leaving the meat and fish sauce out, but I still wanted to find a good replacement for the chicken.
And I finally found it! At first I tried it with tofu, but I wasn’t entirely happy with that. So then I tried king oyster mushrooms, since they are commonly used for vegan pulled chicken or vegan pulled pork.
Now that was the gamechanger! When baked in the oven for a while, the king oyster mushrooms get a really nice meaty texture, similar to chicken. You could also grill the mushrooms for a smokier flavor.
how to make vegan massaman curry
- Preheat the oven at 400°F (200°C). Place the king oyster mushrooms on a baking tray with baking paper. Cook them in the oven for 30 minutes, flipping them over halfway.
- Blend the shallots (or red onion), garlic and ginger into a paste with one tablespoon of coconut oil. Cube the potatoes and chop the green beans into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat two tablespoons of coconut oil in a frying pan, and fry the ginger/garlic/onion paste together with two bay leafs for about 3 minutes. Side note: I also added three chili peppers because I like my food spicy.
- Add one tablespoon of the massaman curry paste with the cinnamon powder, coriander powder, salt and pepper. Fry for a bit longer, until it becomes fragrant.
- Next, add the coconut cream and mix everything together. Let this simmer for a few minutes before adding the water, lemongrass, lemon juice, peanut butter, soy sauce and sugar.
- When everything is nicely stirred, add the potatoes to the pan and cook them for 5 minutes with the lid on. Throw in the green beans after and cook on medium heat (still with the lid on) for 10 minutes, or until tender.
- Check if the mushrooms are ready, cut them into pieces and add them to the pan. I shredded them first with a fork, and then cut them in half (and I cut of the harder bottom part). To finish it off, add the roasted peanuts. Serve the vegan massaman curry with rice.
Massaman Curry with Mushroom "Chicken"
- 10 king oyster mushrooms
- 3 potatoes
- 1 handful green beans
- 10 shallots (or 1 red onion)
- 4 garlic cloves
- ½ inch ginger
- 2 handful roasted peanuts
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp massaman curry paste
- 7 oz coconut cream (200 ml)
- 1 cup water (240 ml)
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar (or any other sugar)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 bay leafs
- ½ stalk lemongrass
- ½ lemon
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper