Singapore Noodles with Chickpeas
Funnily enough, these vegan Singapore noodles are actually not from Singapore. It’s a Chinese/Cantonese dish that is very populair in the United States. Usually it is made with chicken, pork or shrimp, eggs and fish sauce. But of course we won’t be using that here!
These vegan Singapore noodles are super easy to make, and will take less than 30 minutes! I added chickpeas for some extra protein, but you could also use (crumbled) tofu or tempeh, seitan or a vegan meat substitute.
With the vegetables you can’t really go wrong. Today I used carrots and red bell peppers with green onions. Feel free to use other veggies though, it won’t make a huge difference. For the garnish I used another green onion, but you can also replace this with cilantro or peanuts for some extra protein and bite.
INGREDIENTS for vegan singapore noodles
how to make vegan singapore noodles
- Prepare all the ingredients first. Cut the red bell pepper, carrot and green onions. Put one green onion aside, you will be using this as a garnish. Mince the garlic and ginger. If you decide to use the kaffir lime leaves, fold them in half and tear the rib from the leaf.
- Heat one tablespoon of sesame oil in a large frying pan. Add the green onions, garlic, ginger and lime leaves. Cook this for one minute before adding the curry powder. Use madras curry powder if you have it, otherwise any other curry powder will do the trick as well. If it gets sticky, add a splash of water.
- After two minutes, toss in the carrot and bell pepper. Also add the lime juice, soy sauce (or tamari if you’re avoiding gluten) and coconut sugar (or any other vegan sweetener). Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, remove from heat and add the rice vermicelli. Leave the rice vermicelli in there for 2 minutes, stirring every now and then to prevent it from sticking. Drain and set aside.
- Then, add the cooked chickpeas and stir well. Next, add in the rice vermicelli. Carefully, mix everything together.
- Garnish the vegan Singapore noodles with the extra green onion, cilantro or peanuts.
Vegan Singapore Noodles with Chickpeas
- 13 oz rice vermicelli (340 g)
- 8.5 oz chickpeas (240 g)
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 carrot
- 3 green onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tsp coconut sugar (or another vegan sweetener)
- 3 tsp curry powder
- 4 kaffir limes leaves (optional)
PIN IT FOR LATER:
More vegan main course recipes:
My name is Josca.
I am a Dutchie who is obsessed with plant-based food, sustainable living and exploring our planet.