Maghmour – Eggplant & Chickpea Stew
Maghmour, also known as Lebanese Moussaka, is basically an eggplant and chickpea stew. It is a lovely Middle Eastern, vegan and gluten-free dish with surprising and contrasting flavors.
Usually the eggplant is roasted, but this time I decided to make it a one-pot recipe and just cook the eggplant in the pot. If you would still like to roast the eggplant, you can definitely use this recipe. Just add the eggplant towards the end instead of the beginning.
It might sound a bit strange to add mint to a cooked dish, but trust me – it’s really really good. If you can’t be convinced on this one, use fresh cilantro instead.
Cooking this meal made me realize how much I love trying out different cuisines. I am so used to making Asian food, that sometimes I forget that there are loooooads of other cuisines I can prepare. Hopefully you will enjoy it as much as I did! I ate it with rice, but you could also eat it with roasted potatoes or with some gluten-free garlic flatbread.
INGREDIENTS for maghmour
how to make maghmour - eggplant and chickpea stew
- First, cut the eggplant into cubes and place into a bowl of water with 1 teaspoon salt. This will help take out the bitterness of the eggplant. Let this sit for about 20-30 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Cut all the other ingredients that you need. As always, the chili pepper is optional. I cut the walnuts into smaller pieces too. When you are using canned chickpeas, make sure to rinse them first. If not, start cooking the chickpeas now.
- Heat a pot or large frying pan with sesame oil. Cook the onion, garlic and chili pepper for two minutes.
- Next, add the tumeric, ground coriander, garam masala, salt and pepper. Add a splash of water to prevent it from sticking. Cook this for two more minutes.
- Drain and rinse the eggplant cubes and toss it in the pan. Stir well so that all of the pieces are coated with the spices.
- Also add in the tomatoes, a bit of lemon zest and the lemon juice. Mix everything together and cook for about 15 minutes on medium heat or until the tomatoes are soft.
- Once the tomatoes have softened, add in the tomato paste, sugar and water. Let this simmer for 12 minutes.
- Add in the chickpeas and cook for a few more minutes.
- Lastly, toss in the chopped walnuts and a handful of fresh mint. Enjoy your maghmour/eggplant and chickpea stew with rice, potatoes or some flatbread.
Vegan Maghmour - Eggplant & Chickpea Stew
- 1 eggplant
- 5 tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 chili pepper
- 8.5 oz chickpeas (240 g)
- 2.6 oz walnuts (75 g)
- 1 handful fresh mint
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- lemon zest
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- ½ tsp tumeric powder
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 cup water
PIN IT FOR LATER:
More vegan main course recipes:
My name is Josca.
I am a Dutchie who is obsessed with plant-based food, sustainable living and exploring our planet.