Creamy Mushroom Soup
If you would ask me for a comforting, warming and filling soup, I would recommend you this vegan creamy mushroom soup. It is so creamy, you won’t even believe it’s vegan. And, even better: it can be made in 30 minutes!
As I said before in my Thai coconut lemongrass soup recipe, I don’t really eat or make soup a lot. Simply because I like having big meals, and a soup usually doesn’t really fill me up enough.
But, when I was making mushroom stroganoff not too long ago, I remembered how much I love a good, creamy mushroom soup. To reach this creaminess, I used canned coconut milk.
Feel free to use any type of mushroom or a combination. Personally, I like it the most with the button mushrooms. Substitute the soy sauce for tamari and the soup will be gluten-free.
The nutritional yeast is not necessary, but definitely gives a little bit more of a cheesy flavor. To make the soup even more warming and comforting, I added some chili pepper. Leave this out if you don’t like spicy food, or add a little bit of cayenne or chili powder to experiment with the spiciness.
how to make vegan creamy mushroom soup
- Cut the onion and chili pepper (if you decide to use it) and mince the garlic. Clean the mushrooms and then slice them.
- Heat one tablespoon of cooking oil in a large pan and cook the onion, garlic, bay leaf and chili pepper for 2 minutes on medium high heat.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan together with the soy sauce (or tamari), nutritional yeast, lemon juice, dijon mustard, rosemary, oregano, smoked paprika, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Stir well and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- I always wash my mushrooms, so mine released quite some liquid already. If yours don’t, add half a cup of water at this point.
- Next, add the canned coconut milk and a cup of water. Let this simmer for about 10 minutes, or until it reached your desired consistency.
Vegan Creamy Mushroom Soup
- 30 button mushrooms
- 1 red onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 13.5 oz coconut milk (400 ml)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp smoked paprika powder
- ½ tsp nutmeg powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 chili pepper (optional)