Quinoa Taco Bowl
This vegan quinoa taco bowl is so healthy and also very easy to make. If you are looking for a protein packed meal, then this recipe is for you.
Even though I marinated the tempeh, it is still a quick recipe. You could either choose to marinate the tempeh beforehand, or do it like I did and let it marinate while preparing the rest. The trick to getting the best marinated tempeh, is cooking the tempeh in boiling water for a few minutes before marinating them.
I also made a super easy and quick pico de gallo, and a delicious nut free sour cream. All this combined with the nacho’s, makes it the perfect taco bowl.
how to make a quinoa taco bowl
- Bring water to a bowl and slice the tempeh into 10 long strips. Add the tempeh strips to the boiling water and cook them for 5 minutes.
- Prepare the marinade while cooking the tempeh. To a container, add 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil, 6 tablespoons of soy sauce or tamari (gluten free option), 2 tablespoons of maple syrup (I used coconut nectar this time, but you could also use agave nectar), 1 teaspoon of garlic powder and 1 teaspoon of onion powder.
Mix well and add the tempeh strips once they are cooked. Make sure every bit is coated with the marinade.
- Rinse 1 cup of quinoa and heat a large frying pan with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Toast the quinoa for 2 minutes before adding 1,5 cup of water. Also add the smoked paprika powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and pepper and salt. Bring to a boil and cook the quinoa for about 15 minutes on medium heat. Stir every now and then.
- For the Pico de Gallo: cube the tomatoes and one half of a red onion. Slice out the seeds of the tomatoes. Cut one handful of cilantro, but put half of it to the side – you will need this for the sour cream.
Mix the tomatoes, red onion and half of the cilantro together with the juice of half a lime.
- Vegan sour cream: put the tofu, nutritional yeast and chili’s (you can use jalapeño peppers or regular chili peppers) in a blender with the remaining cilantro and lime juice. Blend until it’s smooth. Add a splash of water if needed.
- After all this is made, heat a frying pan with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Cook the tempeh on both sides until they get a nice brown color. Add the remaining marinade and turn to low heat. Cook for a few more minutes.
Cut the avocado into slices or cubes when the tempeh is cooking.
- Now it’s time to decorate your quinoa taco bowl! Don’t forget to add the corn chips, this will add a really nice taste and texture. If you’re enjoying this meal with multiple people, you could also serve everything separately so that people can decorate their own quinoa taco bowls.
Quinoa Taco Bowl
- 1 cup quinoa (200 g)
- 1½ cup water (300 ml)
- 8.8 oz tempeh (250 g)
- 8.8 oz kidney beans or black beans (250 g)
- 8.8 oz sweet corn (250 g)
- 1 avocado
- 3 tomatoes
- ½ red onion
- 1 lime
- 1 handful cilantro
- 7 oz tofu (200 g)
- 2 chili or jalapeño peppers
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- corn chips
- 5 tbsp vegetable oil
- 6 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper